Due to COVID-19, Canadian Sport Institute Pacific has chosen to reduce operations across all three campuses (Victoria, Vancouver & Whistler) effective immediately. This decision was not taken lightly has come after discussion and consultation with CSI Pacific’s leadership team and Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Paddy McCluskey.
CSI Pacific is working with government guidelines to increase social distancing for staff & athletes. Our actions here will help lower the risk of exposure and spread of the COVID-19 illness.
TRAVEL & QUARANTINE
All athletes and staff that are currently out of the country or recently returned to Canada (after March 12th) MUST self-quarantine upon their return to Canada for 14 days before being allowed to enter any of our CSI facilities. This includes any travelers from the USA.
Athletes/staff may continue to train if they have no symptoms and have not traveled outside Canada since Mar 12th.
All athletes/staff with symptoms MUST NOT come to the CSI Pacific facilities or continue with training.
All CSI Pacific training locations and performance labs will be taking steps to limit access to these facilities to better align with social distancing recommendations (2 metres) and avoid overcrowding. The following steps will be taken immediately:
- Effective immediately, the Whistler Athletic Centre gym will be closed
- In the CSI Pacific Victoria and Vancouver campuses (lab and gym) we will limit facility access to only athletes that are identified by their NSO as Olympic/Paralympic stream athletes training for the upcoming Tokyo 2020 Olympic / Paralympic games (eg. Nationally carded AAP).
At this time, we will deprioritize and eliminate all high school, PSO and NextGen training groups to reduce overall traffic and allow other measures below to be attained.
- At the CSI Pacific Victoria campus, we will limit access to our gym to 10 athletes per session and our lab to 6 athletes at one time. This may result in your gym/lab schedule changing.
- The CSI Pacific Victoria heat chamber will be closed and not in use for the next 2 weeks.
- Across all three campuses we will cease any access to using our recovery tubs and Normatec / rehab equipment.
- Our staff will undertake expanded cleaning in the gyms and labs
- All the above measures will be in place for a minimum 2 weeks and will be reviewed on or before March 30th to determine if it is appropriate to continue or modify these actions.
We STRONGLY suggest that at this point athletes/coaches do not use other facilities – as we at CSI Pacific cannot control or clean those facilities. This may mean athletes may miss some workouts.
If you have any further questions regarding any of the aforementioned information, please feel free to contact:
- Wendy Pattenden, CEO, email@example.com, 604.295.6941
- Kirsten Barnes, Director, Performance Service, firstname.lastname@example.org, 778.994.3368
We will continue to provide you with updates as soon as they become available.
Canadian Sport Institute Pacific