SPORT MEDICINE ADVISORY COMMITTEE UPDATE:
COVID-19 Pre-Games Testing
As Playbook 3 has been released with updated information from Tokyo 2020 and the Japanese government, the following information is vital for all teams headed to Tokyo this summer. It is recommended for all athletes and staff travelling to Tokyo for the Games to read the Playbook V3.
Before departing on the flight to Japan every individual will require 2 RT-PCR tests done using nasopharyngeal or saliva testing. NO antigen tests will be acceptable.
These tests must be within 96 hours of departure and be at least 24 hours apart. We suggest one test at 96 hours and the other 48-72 hours to allow for results to be available and any inconclusive results to be repeated.
Tests need to be through an approved facility to be accepted. The link below has the final list of accepted clinics within Canada as well as internationally.
Pre Games Preparation
COVID-19 and Pre-Games Testing
- Moderna COVID-19 vaccine
- Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine
- AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccine
- Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine (Johnson & Johnson) (not been released at this time)
- pre-flight COVID testing
- testing on arrival
- COVID hotel stay while awaiting the test result
- 14 day quarantine with repeat testing on day 8.
- Vaccination status (individuals who are fully vaccinated)
- Mode of Travel (personal vehicles vs mass transit)
- The daily training or competition environment (if entering a training node or bubble with a greater than 85% full vaccination rate)
At this point, it is recommended that changes to commonly used antigen tests for screening purposes should not occur based upon an individual’s vaccination status.
Further information about COVID-19 may be obtained from your NSO Chief Medical Officer or Team Physician, or the Chief Medical Officers of the Sport Medicine Advisory Committee.
- Mike Wilkinson, Canadian Olympic Committee: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Andy Marshall Canadian, Paralympic Committee: email@example.com
- Suzanne Leclerc, Institut National du Sport du Québec: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Steven Dilkas, Canadian Sport Institute Ontario: email@example.com
- Brian Benson, Canadian Sport Institute Calgary: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Paddy McCluskey, Canadian Sport Institute Pacific: email@example.com