SPORT MEDICINE ADVISORY COMMITTEE UPDATE:
As we move into April of 2021 the number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 world-wide is over 126 million with over 101 million recovered and 2,766,000 deaths. A number of new variants originating in the UK, South Africa and Brazil have recently been identified. In Canada we have over 952,000 cases, 22,700 deaths and 890,000 (93%) recovered. Mortality rate in Canada is 2.3%. A number of provinces are experiencing record numbers of cases and hospitalizations indicating the third wave appears to be upon us. In some countries the numbers of cases are at all-time highs and this reinforces the need to remain careful and follow recommendations on hand washing, physical distancing and use of masks which is now mandatory in most provinces in Canada and many countries in the world.
- Moderna COVID-19 vaccine
- Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine
- AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccine
- Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine (Johnson & Johnson)
Canadian High Performance COVID-19 Database
- In the Atlantic provinces there is a requirement for 14 days self-isolation if entering or returning from other provinces outside the Atlantic bubble.
- In Quebec there is no official isolation requirement for people arriving from other Canadian provinces. For the INS recommendation is 7 days of isolation and negative testing before having access to the INS. Individual evaluation is done for each circumstance.
- Ontario has a stay at home order and strongly advises self-isolation for 14 days if arriving or returning to Ontario from another province. CSIO will require a 5 day self-isolation and negative COVID-19 test (rapid antigen test is acceptable) to access to our spaces and services following interprovincial travel using public transportation (plane, train, or bus). Persons travelling independently via private vehicle will be exempt from this requirement.
- In Alberta local health authorities may subject travellers to or from other provinces to restrictions but there is no provincial ruling. Athletes and Coaches returning to CSI Calgary from within Canada must complete a negative COVID-19 test upon arrival in Calgary followed by a Telehealth call before entry to the CSI Calgary. Cost to be borne by the NSO/athlete.
- In BC, a request to avoid any non-essential travel within and outside the province exists but there are no specific inter provincial travel isolation requirements at this time. CSIP is requiring that athletes and staff self-isolate for 14 days, or until after Day 5 COVID test is reported, before accessing the facility or working directly with the staff.
- Check the local quarantine regulations immediately prior to departure
- Wear a mask at airport and on flight. Medical grade masks are preferable but N95 masks are not a requirement. There is some evidence emerging that double masking is more effective.
- Wash hands frequently in airport. Once settled in seat use hand sanitizer and wash hands again upon leaving plane and airport.
- Practice rigorous cough hygiene at all times.
- Using a wipe to clean the arms of the seat. Do not use the seatback table or entertainment system unless necessary and wash it with a wipe before using it.
- Choose a window seat as this minimizes contacts with others.
- Wipe down luggage including hand luggage once retrieved and exiting airport and any public transport such as a bus or taxi.
Click on image below to expand:
Updated links from the Government of Canada and WHO
Further information about COVID-19 may be obtained from your NSO Chief Medical Officer or Team Physician, or the Chief Medical Officers of the Sport Medicine Advisory Committee.
- Mike Wilkinson, Canadian Olympic Committee: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Andy Marshall Canadian, Paralympic Committee: email@example.com
- Suzanne Leclerc, Institut National du Sport du Québec: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Steven Dilkas, Canadian Sport Institute Ontario: email@example.com
- Brian Benson, Canadian Sport Institute Calgary: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Paddy McCluskey, Canadian Sport Institute Pacific: email@example.com